Using a publicly traded business of your choice (AT&T), use Jack Welch’s Five Slide Methodology to analyze the business environment and competition. Specifically, you will draft slides 1 and 2 and explain your rationale and research in an accompanying research brief. Imagine the intended audience to be your CEO and the entire Executive Leadership Team.
Page Research Brief.
Analyze the business environment and competition using Jack Welch’s Five Slide Methodology.
· Slide 1: What Does the Playing Field Look Like?
· Who are the competitors in this business, large and small, new and old?
· Who has what share, globally and in each market? Where do we fit in?
· What are the characteristics of this business? Is it a commodity, high value, or
somewhere in between? Is it long cycle or short? Where is it on the growth curve?
What are the drivers of profitability?
· What are the strengths and weaknesses of each competitor? How good are its
products? How much does each one spend on research and development (R&D)?
How big is each sales force? How performance-driven is each culture?
· Who are this business’s main customers, and how do they buy?
· Slide 2: What has the Competition Been Up To?
· What has each competitor done in the past year to change the playing field?
· Has anyone introduced game-changing new products, new technologies, or a new
· Are there any new entrants, and what have they been up to in the past year?
Draft Slides 1 and 2 (to be used in final project)
· Draft Slide 1: Synthesize your market research notes to provide key, relevant bullet points on the Playing Field
· Draft Slide 2: Synthesize your market research notes to provide key, relevant bullet points on what the competition has been up to.
Formatting and Submission Requirements
· Typed, double-spaced, professional font (size 10 – 12) with one-inch margins on all sides.
· Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, your name, professor’s name, and the course title and date. (The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.)
· Headings, bolded, are used to identify main topics and subtopics
· Write about each of the indicated topics concisely and briefly. The total report should be 4 to 6 pages. NOTE: The Cover Page is not included in the required page length
· Use a clean, consistent professional font
· You may use graphics if they support your presentation and can be (legibly) displayed on a single slide
HONORS WORK AND PLAGIARISM FREE. PLEASE USE PICTURES/GRAPHS – see attached example